This 5 ingredient keto chocolate cake is to die for! It is incredibly moist, rich and chocolatey and comes in at only 2.5 net carbs per slice. The recipe is low carb, sugar free and gluten free.
This cake does nothing by halves. It contains as much chocolate as it can possibly handle, a generous amount of grass-fed butter and it is just on the right side of sweet. Basically, it is a Keto dream dessert.
- 300 g / 10.5 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup / 50g almond flour or ground almonds
- 300 g / 10.5 oz butter unsalted (1 1/3 cup melted)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup / 150g powdered sweetener
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 170 Celsius / 340 Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave (ca 90 seconds - see notes), then stir and wait until dissolved. Alternatively, gently heat in a water bath (a heat proof bowl placed over a pan of boiling water). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the sweetener and mix well.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter along with the almond flour and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Line the bottom of a 20 cm / 8 inch springform with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter. Pour in the cake batter and bake for ca 30 minutes until the top of the cake is firm to the touch, especially in the middle.
- Leave to cool before releasing from the cake tin. Once the the cake is completely cooled, dust with cocoa powder.
- Wait with dusting the cake until it's completely cooled. If it is still warm, the cocoa powder will melt and become sludgy.
- TAKE YOUR TIME when melting the chocolate. If you overheat it, it can separate into cocoa and cocoa butter and become sludgy. If you melt it in the microwave, break it up as much as possible and heat it in 2 x 30 second bursts, followed by 10 second bursts. Take it out before it's fully melted and just stir a few times, letting the rest melt on its own.
- Check out the recipe variations in the post!
- Optional chocolate frosting: Melt 100g / 3.5 oz unsweetened chocolate and 60g / 1/4 cup butter, stir in 6 tbsp double / heavy cream and 1/2 cup / 50g powdered sweetener. Wait until it has cooled and thickened, then spread over the cake.